h

h

Friday, April 24, 2015

PopSugar Challenge: Graceling

PopSugar Reading Challenge 2015
Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Read a Book With a One Word Title


“When a monster stopped behaving like a monster, did it stop being a monster? Did it become something else?”


 I feel like I am the last person to have read this book. It's just like me to be the last on the bandwagon. I'm glad I jumped on though. 

Graceling is about a world in which some of the population is "graced". This can mean that they have special abilities in any area like cooking, fighting, or even mind-reading. Our main character, Katsa, is a graced fighter and is used to carry out her kings dirty work. When she meets Poe, another graced fighter, she finds not only common ground but a good friend. Will Katsa and Poe's relationship be able to weather protecting Princess Bitterblue while also trying to come to terms with Poe's true grace. 

I can't tell you how intrigued I was by the plot of this book when I picked it up at the library. I wasn't actually planning on reading it but I was instantly taken in by the idea of people having "graces". I mean what person doesn't wish they had Katsa's extraordinary powers. 

I fell in love with the first 100 pages and couldn't get enough of Poe's adorable arrogance or Katsa's strength and persistence. I was throughly amused and hoping that this would be a five star read. Sadly, after the pair left King Randa's court I began to get a little bored. I found myself not wanting to pick up the book for long periods of time or being tempted to skip over large passages. I'll just say it, the book definitely dragged in the middle. 

Despite its slowness, I still throughly enjoyed this read. I think it's honestly because I adored the cast of characters so much. You almost can't help but love Poe, Katsa, Raffin, and Bitterblue. 

I just recently found out this is a companion trilogy and I'm so excited! I must admit that I was hoping for a continuation of Poe and Katsa's story but I truly do love Bitterblue and am looking forward to hearing her story (and secretly hoping Katsa and Poe make an appearance). 

4 Stars!

“I'll teach you how to defend yourself, how to maim a man. We can use Po as a model.'

'Wonderful,' Po said. 'It's quite boring really, the way you beat me to death with your hands and feet, Katsa. It'll be refreshing to have you come at me with a knife.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment