h

h

Thursday, April 30, 2015

PopSugar Challenge: Paper Towns

PopSugar Reading Challenge 2015
Paper Towns by John Green

Read a Book That Became a Movie



So pretty much everyone has heard of this one. Ever since reading Looking for Alaska earlier this year I have basically been boycotting John Green. I can't even describe how much I hated that book. Between Green's love of existentialism and overly quirky characters, I was pretty sure I would never like one of his books again. I decided to read this book though when the Reads with Friends group on Goodreads held a readalong. Alas, Paper Towns wasn't all that bad. It might even have been mildly entertaining.  

The Good: 
1. Radar and Ben- These characters are seriously likable and are so much more than the stereotypical tropes I'll talk about later.
2. This book was seriously laugh out loud funny. Who doesn't like that?
3. Black Santas 

The Bad:
1.. Margo Roth Spiegelman and Quentin- Yuck, these were terribly unlikable characters. Margo was pretty much Alaska and that should tell you how much I hated her character.
2. Too much existentialism- Okay John Green, we get it already. 

I gave this book a 3/5 star rating because I did like some of the characters, the book was funny, and ultimately I did want to know what happened to Margo. However, the main characters were too unlikable and there was way too much philosophy for it to be truly enjoyable. Overall it was a forgettable book. In fact, I am already forgetting how it ended and I JUST read it. How sad that it was that anti-climatic. 

I only have one more John Green book sitting on my shelf (An Abundance of Katherine's) and I have never been so happy at the idea of never having to read a particular author ever again!

Have a great day bookworms!

No comments:

Post a Comment