h

h

Monday, March 9, 2015

PopSugar Challenge: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

PopSugar Reading Challenge 2015

Read a Book With Nonhuman Characters
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S Lewis



I was read aloud this entire book series by C.S Lewis when I was in third of fourth grade. I remember thinking it was fantastic and looking forward to reading time each day. This year however I realize that I had never actually set down and read this book myself. I went into it honestly expecting that I wouldn't care for it much. Lately I have been giving many middle and elementary books reads or re-reads and simply finding out that they are no longer to my liking as I have gotten older. Because of this I was so surprised when I found myself loving this book. 

The world and characters are so fantastical and wonderful in this book and everything is just as it should be. I love all of the nonhuman characters, especially the beavers as I love beavers in real life. There is giants, centaurs, fauns, lions, witches, and a whole host of other talking animals to enjoy. C.S Lewis's writing style is also something to brag about. I usually take no notice of the way an author writes but this book struck me as something special. There is such a light charm to the writing of this book and I enjoy how the author takes the time to talk to the reader personally about the story.

I wasn't a huge fan of the obvious Christian symbolism as I am not religious myself. However, it detracted very little from the story and I was able to enjoy it on the whole despite this. 

I happily found out while reading this book that this series is one that can span all ages. You will be able to enjoy this story as a child, an adult, and hopefully even into your old age (we'll see about that). I would recommend this book to anyone of any age and I can't wait to continue with the series!

*I chose to read these books in order of publication date. That seems to be the way most authors like their books read. I know though that there are many people that read these books in chronological order. I'm sure there is no right or wrong way but is simply a preference of the reader. 

“She did not shut it properly because she knew that it is very silly to shut oneself into a wardrobe, even if it is not a magic one.” 

Have a great day bookworms!

No comments:

Post a Comment