h

h

Saturday, March 7, 2015

PopSugar Challenge: My Heart and other Black Holes

PopSugar Reading Challenge 2015

My Heart and other Black Holes 
by Jasmine Warga


I read a quote from this book on Goodreads and I was hooked. I knew I had to read this book. The issues in this book surrounding depression and mental illness are close to my heart. I have read many books in the past concerning mental illness and it is my personal opinion that very few get it right. This book however was able to portray depression and mental illness in a way that I at least found to be believable. 

I thought that the characters seemed very cold and uncaring throughout much of the book which I find to be extremely realistic. Some people think that it is weird that they acted this way but I understand that when you are that depressed and are ready to die, that you simply don't care about anything anymore. I also really loved how Aysel described her depression as a slug that eats away at all of her happy thoughts. This is wonderful imagery. 

This book has some truly amazing quotes. I'm pretty sure I just blew up my Goodreads account "liking" quote after quote from this book. There are so many wonderful sayings from this book that I will want to remember for a long time to come.

“Maybe the sadness comes just before the insanity” 

Why the three star rating you may ask? Well, while I really enjoyed this story and felt that it was realistic, I just thought it was a good story and not a great one. I really enjoyed reading it, in fact I read it in one sitting. However, I just don't think the story or the characters will stick with me for a long time and I certainly wont be re-reading it. For me a three star rating mean that I simply like the book. So it is not a bad rating and I hope this review doesn't discourage anyone from reading it. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading about mental illness or if you are just looking for a sad story.

“Depression is like a heaviness that you can’t ever escape. It crushes down on you, making even the smallest things like tying your shoes or chewing on toast seem like a twenty-mile hike uphill. Depression is a part of you; it’s in your bones and your blood.” - Aysel

Have a great day bookworms!

No comments:

Post a Comment