h

h

Friday, January 23, 2015

PopSugar Challenge: Tricks

PopSugar Reading Challenge
A Book That Takes Place In Your Hometown
Tricks by Ellen Hopkins



I chose this book to fulfill the 'book that takes place in your hometown' piece of the PopSugar reading challenge. In this book there is a LGBT character named Seth that spends a bit of his time in Louisville Kentucky which is where I was born and raised. The book mostly takes place though in Las Vegas Nevada. 

It took me a long, long time to finally jump on the Ellen Hopkins bandwagon and Tricks was my first book by her. I once tried to read Impulse and couldn't get past the verse style. I still wish Hopkins would just write her story in the "regular" way. Her writing could hardly be called poetry so I'm not sure why she decided to use the style that she does. I seem to be one of the few people out there that doesn't love Hopkins writing. This isn't the first time that I've noticed a difference between my tastes and pretty much everyone else's.

 In terms of the books content, I will say that it was fairly hard to read. Not a lot bothers me and this didn't exactly bother me, but there are certainly parts that are very graphic. If prostitution, drug use, abuse, or any kind of sexual activity at all bother you, then I would recommend you don't read this book. 

The character I most enjoyed was Eden. I come from a fairly normal and tame family so I could relate to in the fact that she was a naive, goody-good. I felt most concerned with what happened to her and was super upset when the book ended on a cliffhanger. I just want to know what happened to her! A quick Goodreads search revealed that Hopkins is currently working on a sequel called "Traffick" that is set to release Fall 2015. I'm fairly sure I will pick up the sequel since now I'm already over 600 pages invested into the storyline.

Happy reading everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment