h

h

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

PopSugar Challenge: The DUFF

PopSugar Reading Challenge 2015
Book Written by Someone Under 30

The DUFF by Kody Keplinger


I might just be one of the last people to read this book but I am glad I finally jumped on the bandwagon. I quickly fell in love with this book and it still have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that Kody wrote this book her senior year of high school. This girl is definitely born to write. I will admit that the contemporary genre usually isn't my thing, but this book really hit a nerve. 

I fell in love with the moody, sassy Bianca from the beginning. She really reminds me a lot of myself. She is determined to keep her head on her shoulders and not to fall head over heels for some silly boy during high school. She is so relatable because she makes plenty of real world mistakes. My heart broke for her when she was having issues with her alcoholic father. For some reason, the way Kody writes this scene is more heart wrenching then most things I've read. Besides Bianca, it's pretty easy to fall in love with Wesley. He is rich and sexy as hell but in the end still has his faults just like everyone else. The friendships in this book are also superbly written. They each have their own personalities but they are there for each other. Many times I found myself wishing the Casey was my best friend.

The themes in this book are also really deep, especially coming from such a young mind. It is nice to be able to see that everyone feels like a DUFF at one time or another and that we are all essentially the same.  Bianca reminds everyone that judging others is pointless since we all screw up in the end. It was also great that this book reminds people to follow their hearts and not necessarily their minds. I feel like a lot of the time people want to go with the safe choice (the safe job, guy friend, etc). The right choice though is usually the one that makes you the happiest.

I read this book because the movie is getting ready to come out February 20th. However, the more I compare the trailer to the book, I can't help but feel like the look like two different stories. For example, the movie trailer seems to focus on Wesley "un-duffing" Bianca. This does not happen at all in the book. I loved the book so much that I would be pretty disappointed if they decided to take the movie in an entirely different direction. We shall see!


No comments:

Post a Comment