h

h

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

PopSugar Reading Challenge: Since You've Been Gone

PopSugar Reading Challenge 2015

Read a Book That a Friend Recommended
Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson



Since You've Been Gone was my first Morgan Matson book and I believe it will be my last. I am going to have a pretty unpopular opinion when it comes to this book since it seems like everyone and their mother loves this book. I chose this particular book for this challenge because all of my Goodreads "friends" couldn't stop raving about it (I don't actually have any friends that read). 

I was really hoping to like this book but I didn't go into it with too many expectations. I didn't think that the synopsis sounded particularly interesting but I was just hoping it would surprise me. Unfortunately I just found the book to be boring. I felt like I was watching a movie about someones ordinary daily life which to me doesn't exactly sound like a hoot-and-a-holler. I have heard a few people say that maybe they are just too old for this book and I think that maybe the case. For example, I feel like I could really relate to Emily because I was just like her in high school. My best friend was also just like Sloan. However, this actually made me dislike the book instead of like it. I am 25 now and looking back on my best friend and I, I realize that I don't like the timid person I was or how much I leaned on my best friend for everything. I was also pretty annoyed by Sloan throughout the entire book. I just did not agree with Emily that Sloan was the best thing since peanut butter and jelly. I couldn't stand the way she made Emily feel bad for not using her fake ID (some people don't like to break the law) or the way she ditched her for her boyfriend. And the huge one, how she left her all summer and didn't tell her where she was going. I really do feel like this could be the perfect book for someone in high school (and obviously older people as well), but personally I just felt like I had outgrown it. 

The only redeemable part of this book for me was Frank Porter. I really liked his character and because of this I actually really enjoyed the last 50 pages of the book since he was present more. My love for Frank Porter was not enough to save this book in my opinion though.

I supposed I really should get used to the fact that I just don't seem to like the books that others love. I will say, it would certainly be easier if I did. 

Have a great day bookworms!


No comments:

Post a Comment