h

h

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

PopSugar Challenge: Maus Vol 1

PopSugar Reading Challenge 2015

Read a Book Based on a True Story
Maus Vol 1: My Father Bleeds History



                                             

I decided to pick up this book due to my interest in Jewish history and the Holocaust. It was very different though from what I was expecting. I thought that this graphic novel was going to be about the main characters time spent in a concentration camp. It looks as if that is what Maus volume two will be about. This volume however is about Vladek Spiegelman's life from young adulthood through the time he was taken into Auschwitz. 

This was an interesting and quick read but I disliked the artwork so much that it detracted from my enjoyment considerably. The main protagonist was also quite annoying in my opinion. At one point Art tells the audience that his father resembles the stereotypical old Jew. I couldn't agree more. The protagonist is penny-pinching and rude. I truly hate stereotypes so I was quite aggravated that the main character may cause others to think negatively about Jewish people.

I am excited to get into volume two of Maus though as I have a keen interest in the death camps from World War 2.  

No comments:

Post a Comment